What It Takes To Get A Job In London

I thought I would try to share some life advice today because at the end of the day I am a lawyer first and a blogger second.  I've worked in London ever since I left school but getting jobs here, or at least good jobs, wasn't always easy.

Persistence

If at first you don't succeed.. Don't give up!  I've suffered so many knock backs over the years of job hunting.  Being told you haven't got enough experience which is most frustrating when you're like "how do I get the experience if no-one will give me a job!", also sometimes being over qualified because you then apply for the jobs which need no experience.  But don't give up and take on board all the feedback (negative and positive) and use it to your advantage for future references.

A good CV

A well presented CV will get you far.  After all, most of the time your CV is the first thing that an employer will see and if they don't like the look of it you won't even get a chance to present yourself.  Have a look online for precedent CVs, they are plenty out there, and find a good template that will work for you.  I generally put my name in bold at the top so it's easy to spot and then list my qualifications and jobs starting with the most recent.  It's also a good idea to list hobbies and interests.

Agencies

When you finally have a full time job but feel it's time for something new or the next step it can be hard to look for other work.  This is where agencies are great because they do all the leg work for you.  All you need to do is register (normally online), upload your CV and tell them the type of work you're looking for.  They'll then find stuff and put you forward.  All you have to do is turn up for the interview and most of them even prep you beforehand.

Google

When I first made the move from the dance industry to the law industry (random, I know!) I decided to google every law firm near specific stations in London that I knew I could easily get to and send them my CV.  I think I sent nearly 50 CVs out and from them I had about 5 interviews and 2 job offers!

Stressed But Well Dressed

Lastly, don't forget to dress well and I'm not just saying this from a fashion point of view but a smart looking well turned out person will instantly look more employable than someone scruffy and not bothered.  Wear a suit if you can or at least some smart trousers and a shirt.  Keep your hair well groomed.

Do you have any job advice?

Lauren xx

Comments

Popular Posts