Can Lifting Weights Make Me Bulky?

This is something I've always wondered.  I'm naturally slim so I don't workout to lose weight but to tone up and feel good.  So there isn't a strict yes or no answer for this one.  Yes they can make you bulky but only if you're lifting super heavy weights several times per week.

The top half of my body is smaller than the bottom.  Therefore, my legs are stronger than my arms so because I do a lot of squats and lunges as I find them easier it builds muscle in my legs.  With my arms I only lift 1-2kgs and only once a week so they remain toned without being too muscley.  I also started running every other day and found that this made my legs slightly bigger but toned my stomach a lot.  You just can't win!



Anyway, I did a lot research and found that exercises that use heavy weights, squats, lunges, crossfit etc are the ones that are going to really bulk you.  Exercises such as spinning, running and HIIT should be done 1-2 times per week and the best exercises to stop bulkiness being pilates, walking and boxing.  So this is the weekly workout routine I put together:

Monday - HIIT class
Tuesday - dance class
Wednesday - 3k walk/jog
Thursday - kettlebells and HIIT class
Friday - pilates
Saturday - 5k run
Sunday - pilates



I'm going to give this a go for the next 12 weeks and see what the results are like, hopefully I can get my body more in proportion!

How do you feel about lifting weights?

Lauren xx

Follow me here @wonky_lauren

Comments

Popular Posts